Start A NetworkDon't see a network in your region or within your profession? Start your own!
Six Steps to Starting a Network
Here are some first steps to starting a network in your region, or within your profession:
1. Introduce yourself to the Biomimicry Institute and share your interest in starting a network.
- Contact the Global Network Weaver (Networks@biomimicry.org) to share your interest, your background, and any connections you have already made to others interested in spreading biomimicry in your region or profession. We will then schedule a call to discuss your hopes for a network and possible next steps.
2. Discover who is already learning and applying biomimicry in your region or profession. These early adopters may become members of your core network group and speakers for future meetings.
- Reach out to researchers, biologists, chemists, and engineers at universities, educators at K-12 schools and universities, local business leaders and entrepreneurs who are designing biomimetic products, architects and planners who might be applying biomimicry at the building or city scale, or designers who are looking for the latest in new design strategies. You will be amazed at who you will meet.
- Explore the Biomimicry Education Network. When you join this group, you get access to a member list that can be searched for other educators in your region. This is another great way of finding others who may want to help spread the biomimicry meme with you.
3. Create a core group of 5-7 people with diverse backgrounds to champion the start of your network. Diversity of perspective, professions, and industries are key to bringing the skills necessary to attract, connect, educate, and catalyze new biomimicry applications.
4. Learn more about biomimicry. Engage your core group and emerging network participants in learning opportunities. Check out a list of upcoming events or contact Networks@biomimicry.org to discuss how to create a workshop in your region or for your profession.
5. Create a catalytic event or project that will advance your network’s understanding and practice of biomimicry.
6. Finally, you’ll apply to join the Biomimicry Global Network. Email the Biomimicry Institute (firstname.lastname@example.org) a letter of interest to join the Biomimicry Global Network that includes:
- Names, titles and organizations of 5-7 core group members and their background in biomimicry.
- What you have done together so far?
- What you would like to do next within your network (your goals for next steps)?
- What support you would like from Biomimicry Institute and your peers in the Biomimicry Global Network?
- A request to become a member of the Biomimicry Global Network
Regional and professional networks are independent organisms, not legally affiliated with the Institute, or each other. Together, we are actively collaborating in the formation of regional and global structures that help spread the biomimicry meme and catalyze the application of biomimicry.
We will use the information you to be in touch with you via email. You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any message you receive from us. Learn more about our privacy practices here.