Biomimicry and Science: Applying Nature’s Strategies
A supplementary curriculum blending science, eco-literacy, and design innovation in project-based lessons that emphasize real-world applications.
Co-authored by the Biomimicry Institute and EcoRise Youth Innovations.
At a time when we need sustainable solutions to solve many pressing local and global challenges, researchers are finding that solutions to many of these problems already exist in nature. This course for grades 9-12 reinforces core content in chemistry, physics, and biology, using striking examples from nature and bio-inspired design as a framework to capture student interest.
- Introduction to Biomimicry, a lesson that can be used as a launching point in any classroom to orient students to the exciting practice of biomimicry
- 15 unique and engaging biomimicry-based science lessons—five for each of three core areas: chemistry, physics, and biology
- 7 capstone design challenge lessons—providing students an opportunity to participate in the Institute’s Biomimicry Global Design Challenge and/or a school capstone project. *NOW AVAILABLE AS A FREE EXCERPT!
- All lessons offered with a range of teaching strategies, including slideshows, videos, activity sheets, assessments, technology tools, extension opportunities, and critical thinking cards.
- Alignment to Common Core State Standards (CCSS), Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), Cloud Education for Sustainability (EfS) Standards & Performance Indicators, Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills (TEKS).
Free Challenge Module
Get a taste of the full curriculum with this 7-lesson excerpt. The design challenge module helps students prepare to enter the Biomimicry Global Design Challenge or pursue a similar biomimicry project.
Buy the Full Curriculum
Purchase the entire Biomimicry and Science curriculum with an online support package via the EcoRise website.
We will use the information you to be in touch with you via email. You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any message you receive from us. Learn more about our privacy practices here.